30 Canoeing & Kayaking Quotes to Inspire Your Next Paddling Adventure
By Natalie Ringel
FYI: Some of our posts include affiliate links. When you make a purchase from one of these links, Urban Outdoors may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Updated October 21, 2021
Like many of you, I find myself continually inspired by nature and being outdoors. From the fresh mountain air to the desert sun, adventuring outdoors always puts me in a better state of being. Although hiking and skiing have a place in my heart, I am a paddling girl through and through! Hopefully, these canoe and kayaking quotes can inspire your next epic outdoor adventure!
Quiet ponds and ocean waves never fail to remind me of nature’s beauty and inspiring ways. Whether you need some motivation to start exploring or just love to paddle (like me) here are some insightful and inspiring canoe and kayaking quotes.
Inspiring Canoe and Kayaking Quotes for Paddlers
Motivating Canoe and Kayaking Quotes for Challenging Paddles
During long or challenging paddles, it is easy to give in to tired arms and fatigue- I know that when my muscles start to burn I usually want to stop paddling! In times like these, I turn to an inspirational quote to help me stay strong. Hopefully, these motivational canoe and kayaking quotes will give you an extra push during those difficult paddles.
1. “As one goes through life, one learns that if you don’t paddle your own canoe, you don’t move.” – Katharine Hepburn
2. “Paradise is just a paddle away.” – Author unknown
3. “Keep your face always toward sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.” ~ Walt Whitman
4. “The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling.” – George R. R. Martin
5. “A rough day at sea is better than any day at the office.” – Author unknown
6. “There’s no mastery to be had. You love the attempt. You feel lucky to canoe down it.” –– Garrison Keillor
7. “A river cuts through rock not because of its power but because of its persistence.” – Jim Watkins
8. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” — Author unknown
Inspiring Canoe and Kayaking Quotes about New Adventures
One of my favorite aspects of canoeing and kayaking is the chance to explore new places- uncharted waters if you will. Out on the water, there are endless possibilities for where you can go and what you may see. In case the thought of water adventure does not immediately inspire you to plan a paddle trip, here are some inspirational canoe and kayaking quotes about embracing new adventures.
9. “When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes have ever known.” – Sigurd F. Olson
10. “Open water is a highway to adventure, best traveled by canoe or kayak.” – Author unknown
11. “Originality is unexplored territory. You get there by carrying a canoe – you can’t take a taxi” Alan Alda
12. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
13. “The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go.” – Richard Bach
14. “Be like water. Flow, crash, fly!”― Md. Ziaul Haque
15. “Adventure is worthwhile in itself.”– Amelia Earhart
Uplifting Canoe and Kayaking Quotes
Besides being a great way to get outdoors and exercise, canoeing and kayaking is simply fun! These uplifting canoe and kayaking quotes will help you acknowledge the sheer awesomeness of paddling outdoors.
16. “Paddling a canoe is a source of enrichment and inner renewal.” -Pierre Trudeau
17. “A canoe does not know who is king. When it turns over, everyone gets wet.” – Malagasy proverb
18. “Happiness is finally leaving the shore.” – Author unknown
19. “The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten.” — Sigurd F. Olson
20. “The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful” — e. e. cummings
21. “Water in the boat is the ruin of the boat, but water under the boat is its support.”― Jalaluddin Rumi
22. “A man of wisdom delights in water.” – Confucius
Insightful Canoe and Kayaking Quotes about Appreciating Nature
Whether you are bow or stern, nothing compares to looking at the world from the seat of a boat. From spotting wildlife to exploring beautiful ecosystems, paddling offers such a unique way to view and appreciate nature. That being said, these insightful canoe and kayaking quotes will resonate with paddlers who enjoy nature’s beauty.
23. “The rivers flow not past but through us.” – John Muir
24. “So lovely was the loneliness of a wild lake.” – Edgar Allan Poe
25. “A lake is the landscape’s most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth’s eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature.” – Henry David Thoreau
26. “Nature always wears the colors of the spirit” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “The outside is the only place we can truly be inside the world.” ― Daniel J. Rice
28. “There are always flowers for those who want to see them” — Henri Matisse
29. “One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.” — William Shakespeare
30. “A river seems a magic thing. A magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself.” ― Laura Gilpin
With these words of wisdom in mind, you are ready to conquer any outdoor adventure! Now that these inspirational canoe and kayaking quotes have you in an outdoorsy mood, why not check out out latest destination guides and get suited up with our ultimate kayak gear list.
What to Pack for Canoe and Kayaking Trips
Swimsuit: Wearing a swimsuit is essential for being out on the water! When canoeing and kayaking, chances are you are going to get wet, so best to be prepared! Click here to compare men’s and women’s styles and prices for our favorite swimsuits.
Sunglasses: Being out on the water is beautiful, but the water can really reflect light! Make sure to bring a pair ofsunglassesand croakies to keep them from falling off.
Hat: It’s best to keep the sun off of your head to keep you cool. Whether you prefer a nice bucket hat or a vintage baseball cap, keeping cool will ensure an awesome trip.
Water Bottle: Keeping hydrated is no joke! Paddling is a great way to exercise and relax, but that means it takes a lot of energy too! Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout your trip withthese cool water bottles.
Sunscreen and Bug Spray: Don’t let the elements stop you from having an amazing paddle! I recommend bringingsunscreen and bug spray in the boat with you to ward off any pests and sunburns.
Related Links to Canoe and Kayaking Quotes to Inspire Your Next Adventure
Urban Outdoors is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
We’re building a community platform so you can meet other outdoor adventurers in your city. Sign up so you’re the first to know when we come to your city: